Friday, November 13, 2009

Temuco-Bound!

I'm off to start the final leg of my program here in Chile--I'll be in Temuco for a bit over two weeks completing my project and traveling. I'll be living with a new family with Kim for the first eight days or so, and alone with the family for the rest of the time. I'll have pretty limited internet access, but will try to post when I can.

This week has been full of research. I've been looking up articles on traditional Mapuche education, the role of the Mapuche woman, women in Chile, etc. The two things that stuck out to me the most were a) traditional Mapuche education was discussion-based, and relied heavily on student-teacher and student-student dialogue, and b) 10.5% of Mapuche women are illiterate (as opposed to 6.9% of Mapuche men.)

I'm sad to leave Santiago, but I'm excited to go back to Temuco and breathe the fresh air...

No comments:

Post a Comment